Thursday, March 6, 2014

#6: Luxembourgers? Hello?

First before I start this story (for all my American friends reading) we must establish that Luxembourg is small. Very small. In fact, go on Google and look up Luxembourg as compared to Germany or France. See how small it is? Okay, now you'll understand this story.

So when you travel to another country, you'd think that you'd meet a lot of people from that country, right? Shockingly for me, I've met a very select number of Luxembourg residents. I've met a great family through some connections back home and I've only met one naturally (aka a classmate). I've honestly met more Americans and Germans than I have people who actually call themselves Luxembourgish!

I've had it explained to me though in a way that everyone back home might understand. Remember when you lived in our small town and went to our tiny school system? We all went through that stage where we wanted to get out of this place and travel. And in essence, most of us did. We went out into bigger cities and big colleges. But in time, we all returned to our little town. Now just apply that story to Lux teenagers, and you'll understand why I've met so few of them.

Also, I've heard it said that there are more people here from other countries than there are of natives. So we're kind of taking over the place. I hope Luxembourg doesn't mind too much. For now, I'm enjoying my little American invasion and taking things one day at a time!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellie, they are there, it just takes time to become friends with Luxembourgers. I've heard Americans describe Luxembourgers as a bit more private and reserved, therefore harder to meet new friends. Check out the blog from last year's Wednesday Word on the Wort.lu site. From an American student studying there named Ellie Cook. Similar encounters. Best of luck!
    http://www.wort.lu/en/view/luxembourg-waits-for-no-man-5112085ee4b07d8f8fd392f2

    and this one:
    http://www.wort.lu/en/view/the-wednesday-word-family-life-in-luxembourg-5136edc9e4b068c0dfd53a3a

    ReplyDelete