Tuesday, February 18, 2014

#4: My Not-So-First Day of Class


So as you may or may know, I come from a very small town in Wisconsin. The approximate population is 1,200 people. We're tiny, we're happy, it works out. So I went from a tiny little town to living in like..New York City. I'm slowly getting used to it, but as you'll find out, I'm not quite there yet.


So after slaving over my student schedule all night last night, I settled on a few courses and found out I'll have class the next day. So I get myself ready and set out for the train station. With my transportation app, I'm told I'll arrive a few minutes after my class started. It's not ideal, but it's not too bad. I'll just have to be earlier next time!


I got on the train no problems. Now, it's not like this train just goes from Esch to Luxembourg City in one stop, there are a few stops in between. At each stop the intercom will say what town we are stopping at. But when I'm going somewhere for the first time, I tend to second guess myself a lot. So when the train pulled up the last stop, I didn't quite hear right but everyone was getting off. So I took a little leap of faith and got off, low and behold, I was in the right place. Yes! Small victory for me!

From there my app told me to get on the bus at the fourth terminal. (Error, error, wrong!) So I got on the bus and the last stop is supposed to be at my campus. So I rode the bus, and rode, and rode. Then the last stop came and I was the only one left on the bus...I looked out the window and it wasn't right.

"Fin, madam" the bus driver said.

Shit. I took the wrong bus.
I ended up Kirchberg.
And I had no wifi. Great.

I really, really wanted to just break down and cry honestly. But I'm very grateful that my mind kicked into survival mode and I stayed calm. So I got off the bus and walked back straight (the same way the bus came). I passed a few bus stops, but not knowing where they were going made me stay away from them. Finally, after 40 minutes of walking, I found a bus stop with a sign telling me where the buses were going.

The one place I've learned is "Central Gare" which is where the central train station and bus station is. So I got on a bus to the Central Gare. Once there I decided I had enough for the day and took a train back to Esch.

There is some good news though, a friend of mine was in that class and told me all about it. And from what she told me, I won't understand a thing in the class so it is best for me to just not take it..my time was wasted but hey, I made it home!

Moral of the story:
Paige + trains = best friends
Paige + buses = not friends yet

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paige
    If for some reason you get lost or you Need help, just email me Joe.ory@vo.lu or phone to 621295104 I lived Long time in Esch and I know it´s not that easy.
    Take care
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely embarking on quite the adventure!!! Jen Siebert

    ReplyDelete