Saturday, February 15, 2014

#3: First real day



So when we arrived at Zurich airport, it was about 10:30 am. Back home, it was 4:30 am..but that didn't stop me from texting everyone and letting them know I made it. I was absolutely exhausted because I maybe got about 6 hours of strained sleep on the plane, and I had to try and keep myself awake here. So I sat down at a little airport cafe and ordered a coffee, I don't like coffee but it helped to wake me up a bit.

In a couple hours I was on a smaller plane to Luxembourg City. I went down the baggage claim and out came my giant suitcase. As I was walking out an officer for airport security asked me to step aside, I assume due to the fact that was suitcase was crazy large. He put my bag up on a small table and asked me a few questions. Did I have any fruit in my bag? No, sir. Do you have anything new from the U.S.? No, sir, it's pretty much just clothes. Just clothes? Yes, sir.

Then without opening my bag, he looked me in the eye for a second. I knew I had nothing illegal, so there was no reason for me to be scared. So he told me he believed me, and sent me on my way. Luckily for me, I was met by a student at the university who helped me onto a series of buses that took us to the main university building where I would be. The drive there was so different, everything around me was just so interesting, I couldn't help but space out between questions from the student.

When we arrived, I was given a ton of paperwork and then had to go get my housing key. While waiting to get it, I just about fell over in exhaustion. Soon my key was in hand, and we were fighting the next battle of getting my laptop to connect to the school's wifi (pronounced weefee here, fun fact).

Then we were back out on a combination of buses to take us the the train station. After a train ride, we were at my final stop..Esch. It's really such a lovely place. It's just not like my hometown at all...(I've also resorted to saying I'm from near Chicago to make it easier for everyone else). A few minutes of walking (while dragging my 50 pound suitcase and heavy carry on) we found my apartment and lucky, lucky me I lived on the top floor with no elevator. So up three flights of stairs we went. I met my roommates, did a little unpacking, then back out I went to have dinner with some girls I met at arrival and the student who picked me up before.

After dinner, I felt confident I could find my way back as we had only taken one turn and mostly walked straight. Plus I was jetlagged and a bit of a mess from the plane, so I just wanted to rest for a bit. Well I knew there was a turn, but I forgot where. So my worst fear occurred on the first day, I got lost on my own. So I began walking up and down the streets looking for my street, that was the one thing I knew. In the process, a man tried to flirt with me in French, which made being lost a little better =P

After half an hour of searching, I found my street and followed it back to my apartment. The feeling of relief was like nothing I can even describe. When I walked back up to my apartment, I was greeted by my roommates and a few friends, who invited me in. We then sat around sipping champagne, listening to "trash music", and watching crazy Youtube videos. I was absolutely exhausted, but it was a nice little Valentines Day, where I stayed up until 2 am. That night's sleep was amazing. 

1 comment: